Weight Loss Progress

Monday, October 9

Socks, mud, books, Brian

We're a hair over a week into Socktoberfest, so I figured it's a good time to answer Lolly's questions:

  • When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I taught myself to knit socks last July. I used this book.
  • What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time? My first pair were actually baby socks. I figured it would be easier to learn the techniques and anatomy of the sock on a little one and it would take as long. This was definitely the way to learn. And since babies aren't actually walking, they've held up just fine!
  • What would you have done differently? Learned to knit socks earlier.
  • What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? I've absolutely loved Socks that Rock.
  • Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I know how to do 2 circulars as well as Magic Loop, but my preference is definitely DPNs. Specifically short DPNs. Although, I bought a short Addi Turbo Circular (12" long) at the Fall Fiber Festival (FFF) yesterday. I'll let you know how it works out.
  • Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) I prefer the flap heel. My fave would be the Eye of Partridge heel - I just love the way it looks and feels on.
  • How many pairs have you made? I've made 10 complete pairs and I have 2 pair on the needles right now.
At the FFF yesterday, I also purchased enough Cascade Fixations to make myself 2 more pairs of socks. Hey - it was only $3/skein. You can't NOT buy it at that price.

Speaking of the FFF ... I'm sure you've read other accounts of it elsewhere, but Friend and I went for the day and had a great time ... in spite of the mud. We both bought some beautiful yarn from Jen at Spirit Trail Fiberworks.

I gotta tell you ... it's good to work for a bank ... today was a HOLIDAY! Woo Hoo!!! The kids and I slept in and had a lazy day. Then we went to the new library. It's beautiful - state-of-the-art. They've got tons of meeting rooms and study rooms and public use computers. There's even a cafe and a teen area. We got the calendar of upcoming programs/events and the kids have found tons of stuff to do there before the end of the year. I may even join one of the meeting groups.

Well, the season premier of What About Brian is back on ... later.