Weight Loss Progress

Monday, February 26

Secret Pal 10

If you aren't my Secret Pal, feel free to skip this post as it may bore you senseless. Otherwise, feel free to read on ... you may learn something new about yours truly!

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? Wow - this is a hard one to answer. There are so many yarns that I like knitting with. I guess my faves are anything soft and pretty colors. I definitely use Lion Brand and some Caron Simply Soft - but it has to be ... you know ... soft. I can't stand squeaky acrylics that leave that coating/film on my fingers - I know you know what I'm talking about!

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a 3-drawer unit that holds the circulars, straights and Denise's. My DPNs live in a pencil box - the plastic kind that has a little drawer that slides out.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I had been knitting off and on for over 21 years and then 4 years ago, I got serious about it and haven't looked back since. I learned on my own with books, the internet and some help from friends. I consider myself an advanced intermediate knitter, but only because there are still many techniques I'd like to learn and try.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Not really.

5. What's your favorite scent? My "signature" fragrance is Angel by Thierry Mugler. For candles and stuff like that I like Yankee Candle's Juicy Grapefruit and Mistletoe (in the winter). I also like Pier One's Ginger Tea.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Anything milk chocolate is great, but throw in some toffee ... even better!

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I enjoy scrapbooking, cross-stitch, a little sewing, making wreaths and beaded jewelry and stitch markers. I haven't gotten in to spinning yet because I know my addictive personality will take over and I'll own like 11 spindles, 8 wheels and multiple fleeces within 3 weeks and ... sorry ... got a little carried away. What was the question? Oh yeah - no, I don't spin.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I listen to mostly Top 40/Pop, some Rap and R&B, Rock/Metal and all things Yanni. And yes, we are MP3 friendly.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? My favorite color is purple, but I don't wear it. Clothing-wise I wear mostly black and more brown lately, but I also like blues and pinks. I'm what they call a "summer or cool" color person. Orange or green ... not so much.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Single mom with 3 daughters (15, 10 and 6 yo). We have two pet turtles - Teenie and Tiny. They're not very big.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Scarves - definitely yes, hats - no, mittens - not really and ponchos - no (but I've knit and worn a ponchette).

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I've knit a little bit of everything so far (baby blankets, scarves, ponchos, face cloths, hats, mittens and many others), but I'd have to say I'm addicted to socks and totally LOVE knitting them.

13. What are you knitting right now? 2 pairs of socks, 2 scarves and several baby hat/sock sets.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? But of course!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I typically knit on circulars rather than straights, using bamboo, Denise's or Addi Turbos. With regards to DPNs, I almost exclusively use short ones.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes, both.

17. How old is your oldest UFO? 3 years old ::gasp:: I can't believe I just admitted that. I need to work on that during the 2007 UFO Resurrection.

18. What is your favorite holiday? The entire "holiday" season from Thanksgiving through Epiphany.

19. Is there anything that you collect? Nativities, sheep, all things Eddie Izzard. Oh! And yarn.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I'm always open to new fibers and patterns. I'm currently eyeing some ebony Sox Stix. I have subscriptions to Vogue Knitting and Interweave Knits.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Colorwork, toe-up socks, more sweaters (I say that like I've knit a bunch ... just one so far).

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? But of course I knit socks! I wear a size 8 shoe, my foot measures 9.25" from heel to toe.

23. When is your birthday? Cancercrips in the house!!! July 11. And since I'm sure Friend will bring it up sooner rather than later ... yes, I'll be the big 40 this year!!! I'll let you in on a little secret ... I'm not celebrating my birthday this year ... I'm celebrating my birthMONTH. Yup - the whole month of July will be all about my Double-Twentieth. WooHoo!!!!!