Weight Loss Progress

Tuesday, April 8

Is anybody there?

I guess I've kept you waiting long enough for an update. Sorry.

I had 2 epidural injections in February but unfortunately, they didn't provide the relief the docs were hoping for.

I met with the orthopaedist today and learned that my situation is actually worse than I first thought. There are actually THREE herniated cervical (in my neck as compared to lumbar which would be lower back) discs. The C7 is the worst and pressing on the C7 nerve (as I mentioned before). The C6 is running a close second to the C7 - however, the herniation/bulge is pressing against my spinal cord. The C5 has a very minor herniation. Minor, but nonetheless there.

I have a few phone calls to make to find out exactly what is covered by my insurance (do I have a co-pay or co-insurance?) This is critical and could mean the difference between me having to pay a few hundred dollars ... or several thousand ... because I'm going to need surgery to take care of this. They're going to do an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) on 2 discs (C7 and C6).

The doc wants to do this toward the end of May (yikes!). He assures me it will alleviate most of the pain in my neck, the numbness in my hand and the spasms/cramps in my arm.

I have been knitting, albeit not as much as I used to. I'm going on a knitting retreat this weekend with the Knitting Guild and I can't wait!!!!! My mom is going and so is Friend. I think we're going to have a great time - we'll be at Graves Mountain Lodge. It's beautiful up there. I definitely need this get away.