Weight Loss Progress

Sunday, November 13

My Kingdom for a Hat - Part 2

I don't know if you recall the trouble I had last year when all I wanted to do was make a hat for my brother. It just didn't happen.

About a month ago, I found the pattern that I thought was going to be THE HAT. I cast on and began knitting away. And I knit, and knit, and knit .... and knit some more. This watchcap has 6.5" of 1:1 ribbing, followed by 4.5" of stockinette stitch. All BEFORE the decreases.

I started this hat on October 23rd and knit during lunch. I worked on it after work. I worked on it at the stoplight. I worked on it during the Retreat. (I even worked on this during the New Beginnings part at the Retreat instead of starting something new for me. I figured my New Beginning would be when this thing was finally done.) I worked on this baby when I got home Sunday. And finally, last Monday night, I bound off. Whew - I can't believe it's done!

But, there seems to be a problem. It seems to be a little ... shall we say ... BIG. Personally, I think my brother has a bit of a big head, but the only way this hat will actually fit him is if he suddenly develops elephantitis of the cranium. This thing is huge.

What's a girl to do? I guess I'll have to frog back to the beginning of the stockinette portion and try again with smaller needles. If that doesn't work ... well ... then I guess he just won't get a hat this year either. UGH!!!